Old 09-12-2017, 08:03 PM
airscout
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: air attack pilot

I was in army ROTC in the late 1980s. I also was a cavalry scout in the national guard (simultaneous program). At that time I wasn't a pilot. I really liked being a cav scout. I became disillusioned about becoming an officer. I witnessed too many officers use their men and units as career stepping stones. Most only cared about the appearance that the unit was effective so they could get a promotion, without actually making it effective. All officers worried about was promotion. I worried about my skill set. Don't let people on here fool you that most are in the military because they want to serve. Long story short, I finished ROTC, declined my commission and stayed enlisted.

That said, to this day I second guess myself if that was the right decision. It's the only major life decision that I second guess myself on. But, in the big span of life, there are many different paths to get to the same place. ROTC, warrant officer program, enlisted and civilian flying, whatever. You need to pick what fits your personality and circumstances. Personally, I think it's never a good thing to put all your eggs in one basket. Diversify. Don't be one of these people with no fallback career/education that has to accept whatever crappy offer their airline/job extends to them. Get a good college degree/degrees. I'd probably fly in the guard or reserve if you can. Officer, WO, or maybe even something enlisted. It's a good experience and it's nice to have that to fall back on if times get tough at the airlines. As a pilot having an airline life and a military life to pass in and out of gives you a break from airline monotony without being stuck for long periods of time with non-flying duties in the military.

The other consideration is cost. I thought flight training was ungodly expensive in the early 90s. There's no way I would do it nowadays. Going the military route for flight training will save a lot of money. Some here might say then that you're going the military route for the wrong reasons, but I think it's a fair trade since all you might have to do is die a little bit for that "free" training.