View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 06:00 AM
Floyd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by duvie View Post
Mako,

Your posts are generally a wonderful light in a sea of tough-guy-forumitus.

This particular post... were you referencing any C2000 stuff? Because that contract IMHO was an outlier and not a sustainable contract to be referenced for future negotiations. I, and I think many others, would rather leave some money on the table, but keep my pay up during economic down turns, rather than choke the golden goose, and lose it all when said goose loses consciousness a la David Carradine (too soon?)

I get the company can come after a sub par contract as well during recessions, but I think many of us are still acutely aware of being duped by management and anti-labor governments and would stand firmer next time around, especially if the contract wasn't like C2000 and the recession wasn't the worst since the 1930s.

FWIW
To characterize C2000 as an outlier shows a lack of historical understanding. C2000 was a byproduct of the give backs suffered during the ESOP. After some difficulty we secured a mid term wage adjustment in '97, but C2000 was essentially catch up from '94. For those who think we're enjoying a lucrative compensation package, you might change your mind if you compare past contracts adjusted for inflation.

The only way management can void our contract is through bankruptcy. I seriously doubt management will declare CH11 for every economic downturn to secure contract concessions. To leave money on the table is only selling yourself, and my family, short. Take all you can get. Management certainly did during bankruptcy and continues to this day.

The majors don't come after a contract like the regionals do. At the regionals pilots are told take a cut or lose flying via whipsaw. At the majors, the company just doesn't negotiate and hides behind the RLA. Time is on their side.

Finally, C2000 was in...2000, and the "Great" recession was in 2007. Just saying.