View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 09:14 AM
Groundpointfife
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017
Position: On guard

Originally Posted by JetPilotMike View Post
My first time (in a long time) visit to TK last year for 737 MVLOE. While waiting to check into hotel, a couple of IAH based 737 guys were *****ing up a storm about having to travel to Denver. They went on and on about how a snow storm could shut down DENTK and how could they not have built in Houston. I said what if a big storm shut down Houston and they said that would never happen.
Were they using never as hyperbole?

My thoughts on this are, Denver has a very stange climate, it can snow in summer and it usually snows in winter. With climate change, I am not certain that this will get any better in the same way that Houston is bound to have more hurricanes, or at least more powerful ones.

The difference is Houston does not generally experience multiple hurricanes annually (it had been 12 years since the last major hurricane made landfall in the USA), where Denver does expect multiple snow falls every winter.

So while it is rare for Denver to receive 10 or more inches in one day, it would be unrealistic to say that Houston is more likely to be shut down. Harvey was a record breaker, beating Amelia's 48 inches of rainfall in 1978 (39 years ago).