View Single Post
Old 09-16-2017, 11:46 AM
Gundriver64
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017

Originally Posted by Hebertaviation View Post
I go to Broward College and am enrolled in the Professional Pilot part 141 course; just finishing up my fixed wing instrument rating. I am in the Fort. Laudedale, Florida area and I am just about finished getting my WOFT packet together.

I am prior service USAF but I have a few questions regarding the Army Guard and Reserve while pursuing a future with the major airlines.

My recruiters are putting me in contact with C Co 5-159th Avn. UH-60, out of Clearwater Florida. With out getting the "recruiter" answer, I am wondering what is the difference between the Army Guard and Reserves as far as AVIATION goes.

Money/Resources
Op Tempo
Flight Hours
Training
Flying Commercial Airlines

What would you do if in my situation? Or does it matter?
Do you have any specific questions? Guard = Title 32 (you are at the mercy of the state). Reserve = Title 10 (you are at the mercy of Uncle Sam). The Reserves (for the foreseeable future) is well funded and each unit is very active. With the Guard it is hit or miss (each state has different priorities and varying budgets). I know the question is probably brewing: Reserve fixed-wing aviation is 200-300% strength on Reserve aviators. That's not going to be a viable option for awhile.

Cheers,
G