View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 07:38 AM
JamesNoBrakes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

It looks like they were referring to the "gold ribbon" program, which I have to admit was an egregious waste of money. Having come from a flight training background, I dealt with this personally and had students ask to do ridiculous things that would waste time and not be part of the goal to get a certificate or rating. I wouldn't waste taxpayer money then or now. I had other students that wanted to fly and there's no way I could justify giving student A a 300nm XC for no reason when students B-G were just as important and when it didn't serve any purpose or back to back flights that were detrimental to what we were actually trying to learn that day. The amount of taxpayer money wasted was huge with this program. Helicopter training of course is particularly expensive, so that probably attracted a lot of attention. As a veteran, I used VA money to help get some of my ratings and certificates, and I'm sure you will be able to as well. I don't know if they are still honoring the program, but as I understand, it applied to a certain number of veterans that signed up for a specific program within a specific time period, if outside of that, you may not apply for the "no cap" yellow ribbon program. I've not heard that it is not being honored, only that the VA has gotten more aggressive in determining if a school is wasting money, which is a good thing, because usually the schools that are out there wasting money right and left are the ones that have poorly structured programs. The more structured programs usually have more accountability and less issues with this in the first place.

Personally, I feel we should overhaul the system and offer free tuition, no set number amounts, to any public college/university, for serving your country for a reasonable service period under a program. If you want to be a doctor, great, be a doctor. If you want to be a pilot, be a pilot. If you want to be an accountant, be an accountant. I would draw the line at private universities, no VA money for that. This gives incentives to keep the public university system going and gives fair compensation to our veterans IMO.