View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 11:49 AM
paulpedals
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2016
Position: HH-60M

Originally Posted by Hebertaviation View Post
I am wondering what is the difference between the Army Guard and Reserves as far as AVIATION goes.

Money/Resources
Op Tempo
Flight Hours
Training
Flying Commercial Airlines
In your particular questions, there will be more variance unit to unit than an across the board Guard or Reserve answer. I'm in their sister unit, and my experience has been that the budget is good for flying. You will fly the same minimums where ever you go, guard reserve or active. In fact several of my active duty classmates have lower time than me. If you 1)make yourself available, 2)put in extra work besides just coming in to fly, and 3) are a pleasant person in and out of the cockpit, you will probably get to fly quite a bit.

OP please understand however being an aviator in the guard or reserves is much more than a 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks in the summer gig. We have what are called additional flight training periods (AFTP's) in addition to the standard drill schedule. Just a quick look at my year:
12 Drill weekends
2 weeks annual training
2 weeks in a ground course at fort rucker
1 1/2 week in a flying course
several 3-4 day ferry flights
72 AFTP's
I was also slotted for a full month of being on active duty orders, but the logistics fell through last minute.

My point is that you will be an Army aviator first, any other career you may have will come second. You graduate flight school, but you will return to Fort Rucker several times for additional training. And any employer you have will cooperate, or risk being penalized. Typically airlines know the rules, and are happy to comply.