View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 05:44 PM
jetstreamdriver
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2017

Originally Posted by airplane401 View Post
I'm a senior in college and will be graduating soon. I've been flying for the past 4 years and have my commercial multi and single. Here are my stats:

Total Time: 708
PIC: 631
Cross Country: 455
Instrument: 102
Night: 37

With my time and 4 year degree, do I have a decent shot at a 135 company? I don't have my CFI and really don't want to instruct. Do I have enough hours to pass on instructing and go with a 135 operator as SIC? Thanks!
Like the other folks said above its all about timing and it varies. The day i got my commercial multi i called a pilot at the company i work for and asked where to send my resume. I wanted to try to talk to somone so i called whatever number i could find and made it to the chief pilot who told me to check back in with him. A week later i called asking the status and he told me he'd schedule an interview a week later. A week after the phone interview i had an in person interview and a job offer. I had 306 hrs, maybe 15-20 hrs multi (all instruction plus the checkride) and in 2-3 months i was sitting right seat in a crewed turboprop at CFM building twin turbine time, on salary, at 40-60 hrs a month, sleeping at home every night. The same company also hired FO's with similar qualifications as yourself. I didnt go to a flight college and my 4 year degree is in Mechanical Engineering but i dont think that had much of an effect on it (im trying to go military was my reasoning there, plus know how to run the calculus to actually design a jet engine was cool to me) I just hit it at a good time and was persistant. The turbojet seems to be harder to get with the low time but its possible. I fly the Jetstream 31/32 for CFM. No autopilot and old but building good time and great skills and im quite happy. I think the company actually listed on the website they wanted 1000 hrs for it. So dont always believe everything you see on the internet.