Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 11:02 PM
Turbosina
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: Guppy Gear Slinger

Originally Posted by Packrat View Post
You need to check out the FAA video on how wingtip vortices work. Unless you had a tailwind, there's no need for you to ever fly an ILS "a dot high". Doing that only puts your vortices in the next guy's glide path.
You're right, theoretically if all aircraft are on the electronic G/S, and there's proper spacing, the vortices will sink out of the following aircraft's way. Theoretically only a significant tailwind should create cause for concern.

That's theory. Then there's the reality of one's own experience, which I suppose affects how we all fly. A few years back I had a rather unforgettable first-hand experience in which I was rolled fully inverted at 1000' AGL on final behind an A300. Fortunately I'd had upset training, so I'm here to talk about it. Unloaded the wing with a very firm push and kept 'er rolling all the way around -- the roll was too abrupt to follow the natural instinct, which is of course to stop the roll and reverse it.

The spacing on final was fine, but it happened anyways. And I've hit enough vortices at 100' AGL while following a heavy that I'm acutely aware of the danger they present. Haven't we all?

So, yeah, maybe I'm a bit paranoid. But this morning, I could actually see the darn vortices coming off the preceding traffic, as they created rather beautiful patterns in the cloud tops. I'm guessing the preceding aircraft was right on G/S, but all I knew was, I wasn't going to fly through those swirling mists. Once in IMC, I couldn't very well avoid the vortices visually anymore.

Anyhow, what I shouldhave done was kept the A/P engaged and used V/S mode to control the descent rate (instead of coupling to the G/S for descent.). That would have kept us slightly above the G/S while taking care of the lateral track automatically.

You are, of course, absolutely correct that if we all flew the G/S a dot high, we'd create wake issues for other aircraft behind us. That's a very good point.