Old 09-22-2017, 07:35 AM
Otterbox
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Originally Posted by Dilemma View Post
Hi everyone! Really need your input here. I'll just try to keep this short!

I'm 30 this year. Recently passed an ab initio cadet pilot selection for a major Asian airline. Have yet to sign the contract. It'll be a sponsored program so the bulk of training is paid for by the airline, who will then deduct a certain amount from my salary once I'm a FO. It's, imo, one of the best programs in the world.

Bond is about 10 years (2+ yrs training + 7 yrs as FO).

However, I'm in a dilemma to take the job, as my wife is not very supportive of me, and I'm honestly not PASSIONATE about flying. I have an interest in it, love flying RC and just controlling machines in general.

Here's the thing, I don't mean to boast, but I've saved a good amount of money (7 figures - more than a mil), and my current business earns me above $20k a month. Used to be better but business is currently on a decline.

I believe my business will not survive the next 3 years (though that is not certain) which is why I'm planning for a career change. I believe a pilot career is stable (in my case) and money is good (in this airline at least), and is a very respectable job. It was extremely hard to get pass all the interview stages I went through. Out of 150 interviewees who went for the first interview, only 3 made it this far while 147 failed.

What would you do if you were me? My business right now allows me to work from anywhere in the world.

If someone pays you the same as what you're earning now as a pilot, would you quit? I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to ask.
You lack of wife support combined with a 10 year training bond spells disaster in your future.

The way things are going overseas I wouldn't work for any overseas airline and miss the hiring wave in the US due to work rules and employee protections you get here.

Just apply to JetBlues ab initio program, at least you'll work in the US.

Otherwise, since you make decent $ pay to get your license through CFI then build your hours as a CFI in a cadet program for one of American Airlines Group regionals with a flow to AA and start your career that way.

You don't have to love flying, you just Have to like it enough to do the job safely and professionally.