Old 09-22-2017, 04:55 PM
Dilemma
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2017

Originally Posted by M20EPilot View Post
If you're a troll, well done!

IF not, no need to repeat, but the two big red flags: passion and wife. You need both to be successful when it comes to dealing with the suck of this career.

I did something else for over a decade and got stable prior to diving in. I had also flown since a very young age but the timing and economy just didn't support flying full time in "the lost decade" vs what I was doing. So I bought an airplane, built time, had a lot of fun... and that confirmed the passion I had for flying from a young age was still there.

With your business and income, why not do the same: go off and get your private pilot certificate. Buy an airplane. Enjoy it. You'll build time for your instrument, and commercial, and learn a whole lot in the process. If you decide flying professionally isn't for you, keep the plane as a rich-man's toy, or liquidate it.

I have no idea what line of work you're in where you'll be dried up in 3 years (maybe something to do with American politics? ) but by all means: keep what you're doing relevant and as a way to generate income outside of aviation. No one knows when the next tumultuous event will occur that will turn things back around for a while.
Hello! I'm in the e-commerce business, things are getting extremely competitive these days. Lots of potential, just haven't figured out what's next after this business slowly dies off. I can't buy an airplane and fly for fun here in Singapore, just isn't possible economically unless I have at least $10 million probably. The thing is, I cannot decide if the suck of the career is much worse than the perks of the career.

My wife is a foreigner here (persuaded her to leave the US when I was working there a few years back) to come with my to Singapore permanently. So, she doesn't have much friends and any family here at all. We work together on the business so we spend most, if not all of our time together. She isn't the independent type honestly, and cannot stand loneliness. However, I honestly think a career at my national carrier's a great one, with good perks. Am I wrong/should I feel guilty about considering this career in the first place, I feel like I'm being unfair to my wife if I take this job.