View Single Post
Old 09-22-2017, 05:10 PM
Pokeysrider
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2017
Default Becoming a commercial pilot

Neither fsster nor cheaper equal better. It is very important to interview the potential providers. And yes, I did say interview,
I found that ATP is very different from location to location. At KAPA, while holding a private certificate with instrument privileges two years ago, I asked the young CFI how long he had been working for ATP. He looked at his watch and said about 18 hours. He said he hoped I would sign up and he also said that as I was a (then) 900 hour pilot, he could learn a lot from me.
As an aside, at that time, it was mandatory ATP SOP to descend to TPA 10 miles out, when returning from the SE practice area. I appreciated the CFI's candor, but I sure as heck took my money to some place other than a diploma mill for my comm & instructor ratings. I understand that they do have some facilities that are better (I've the products of them), but it is all on the luck of the draw, as each CFI at ATP (and most other bigger schools) is only there to achieve his/her ATP minimums and move up to a regional.
To the original poster, find some personal help in deciding on a school and don't rely on the recruiters. You can PM me if you wish, I'd be glad to help.
I'm sure sonicflyer may gotten a good ATP education, maybe even at KAPA, as I see he has a proclivity for talking about how harmless a little ganja can be. Just 🤡ing around, nothing personal intended.