View Single Post
Old 09-30-2017, 06:08 AM
dckozak
done, gone skiing

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Rocking chair

Originally Posted by splash333 View Post
I am trying to save enough money to go straight though from 0-cfi. I want to do it in the fastest cheapest way possible.
Just a few thoughts from a graybeard near the end of his career. If my son approached me with a similar question, on the face of it, I'd see the allure of fast and cheap. Here is the reality and what I'd caution him or anyone pursuing "fast and cheap", its a fools chase. Your goals (I presume) is a career as a professional aviator, you are not trying to buy a cheap rug to cover a bad spot on a crappy floor is a rundown apartment. This is your future!! Don't F** it up to save a couple (thousand) bucks! Look over your FBO with the low cost aircraft, compare them to another airport near by with more expensive equipment. Look at the shop where they are maintained, even if your not familiar with aviation maintenance, just use your experience comparing and seeing if it appears to be doing things properly. Ask around the airport about the school and the quality of maintenance and how they treat people. If it is a lower rung operator, instructors won't hang around long or the one that stay may not be able to do any better. I don't know the going rate where you are looking but if the school is charging $25 an hour (the instructor will likely get less than that) while others are getting more, ask why. Interview the instructor(s) and if you unsure of what to ask or uncomfortable doing so, ask for references from him, the school or locals that are using the airport.

Bottom line, don't make price the main criteria for deciding who you learn with and who's airplanes you fly. Your life is (literally) hanging on your decision.