View Single Post
Old 10-01-2017, 12:14 PM
Scoop
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: DAL 330

No matter how you slice it commuting is a detractor to QOL. Depending on your company policy, individual commute, and your personal temperament it can range from a minimal negative factor to a huge QOL Killer.

Things affected by commuting:

Ability to sit long and or short call reserve at home.
How many extra days away will it cost you.
How many "good trips' will be eliminated from the bid package due to early sign-in or late release.
How many less very lucrative short notice GS opportunities will you miss out on.

With your individual commute it sounds like you could drive as a back-up which may be required with crappy weather etc - this helps a lot. Also with a flight that short the jumpseat would not be as painful as a cross country commute. On the other hand we at Delta can not book the jumpseat on connection so that is a huge negative in my mind for all non-mainline flights.

If your goal is to fly international with less trips per month and generally commutable on both ends I think it would be pretty easy. For NB and domestic flying it would be a little more of a PITA and that goes for reserve with both.

All in all I don't think your commute would be that bad but like I said all commuting has some negative affect on QOL. You could be commuting to an international category holding a line and making 2 trips a month with easy commutes until the one day your flight home gets canceled or you get bumped from the JS - Is this a PITA? You bet it is, but you could always rent a one way car to get home so like I said before a commute with a back up drive capability gives you a lot of options long distance commuters don't have.

Good Luck.

Scoop