View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 09:52 AM
DLax85
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Gear Monkey

Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
I also went to a school with both Filipino nuns and laypersons teaching English, math, science and everything else in between. Other than a slight accent when I get excited, I think I turned out ok. My sister went to the International School in Beijing when she was not yet 10 years old. She's doing well also.

Regardless of where your kids go, stay engaged and interested in their progress. The benefits of living abroad temporarily far outweigh the disadvantages.
Most international schools are awesome....as are some of the public schools in certain countries.

Two of my three children attended preschool thru first grade in "non-English speaking" schools in Asia.

The unfortunate part remains that the LOA restricts folks to living within 100 miles of the FDA then provides nothing at all in terms of educational benefits --- no percentage, no cap --- nuttin!

For all those willing to home school, or who have kids young enough to adapt mentally and socially to education in a foreign language public school, go for it.

It will truly be an experience of a lifetime --- too bad we accepted a LOA that didn't force the company to step up and offer some educational benefits like the first rate international company we claim to be.

Last edited by DLax85; 10-08-2007 at 09:55 AM. Reason: typo