Thread: Australia
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 10:22 AM
Groundpointfife
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017
Position: On guard

Originally Posted by captjns View Post
You may find more information on PPrune.
Pprune will provide much better information on conditions. As far as I can tell though you'll be better compensated in the USA with lower taxes. The work rules are better in the USA too. Ask how they bid for flying.

Qantas did not hire from 2008 for quite a few years, then they entered into an agreement with Emirates to do flying for them. Currently I believe you'd start as a second officer with Qantas. There are opportunities with Jetstar, tiger and Virgin Australia.

A lot of pilots went to HK or the Middle East just to find work as a pilot....or even places like Air Japan (read jobs not in Australia)

US aviation also is quite a bit bigger than Aussie aviation, tell them that one airline in the US has over 10k pilots and you'll see what I mean. As of March this year CASA had 7400 ATPLs.

Qantas looks to women to solve looming pilot shortage

Do your homework, I hope it works out well for you and I'm sure you can have a great career down there. If you've noticed that the regional airlines are doing E3 visas for aussies, it is a way for Australian pilots to build jet time and become more competitive applicants back home- but the regionals in the states benefit by not needing to raise wages as quickly as if they were only hiring US citizens or green card holders.