View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 09:58 AM
35Right
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by trouljaboy View Post
Thanks for the response! I'll check that website out. I guess I didn't really think of the flight portion that way, if you mess something up just using it as a teaching moment.

Thanks again,
Originally Posted by trouljaboy View Post
Hey all,

Hoping to get a little guidance here from some CFIs. I'm about to start my CFI training (pt 61) here in the next week, but I want to get a head start with as much as I can before I meet with my instructor. I've got all my written exams done (CFIA, FOI, CFII) as well as my spin training endorsement, so from this point I guess it's mostly self study and checkride prep. I know I'll need to get some time getting used to the right seat and teaching from it in the plane I'll be using for the checkride and I'll be doing that once I start flying with my instructor next week (same CFI and plane I used for my initial commercial single, so that's nice), so I guess my question is, what should I start studying and reading over now to get ready? I know the FAA has a free Aviation Instructors Handbook and I've been reading through that some, as well as the ASA Oral Exam Guide, but I just feel like I've been reading over these things aimlessly without an end goal. Also done a search on the forums and pretty much have just seen people saying to start reading and doing lesson plans. Should I start making lesson plans for PPL/CPL stuff from scratch? I guess I'm just kinda lost in the sauce on where to actually begin and get the wheels rolling on this. I'm sure when I meet with my instructor next week he'll have more help for me, just looking at getting a head start.

Thanks in advance for any help!
I come from a 141 environment, but it's still the same process. I would have lesson plans made for each TASK within the CFI PTS. Then practice teaching those lesson plans repeatedly until it becomes second nature. I have instructed a lot of CFI students personally, and my pet peave is when the CFI applicant is teaching me a lesson plan by just regurgitating what they read in the PHAK. You must know the material to a CFI level. You can get away with regurgitation during a private or commercial practical, but as a CFI you need to know the WHY.