View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 08:47 PM
SmoothLanderJ
Gear handle manipulator

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: B-737 First officer

Originally Posted by GearBoy View Post
Wynncompany,

I understand. No one likes to hear that their baby is ugly.

It's very simple. IMO, Nothing's changed there, at Alaskan Airways. The very fact that Alaska is yet again beholden to arbitration says it all. IMHO, Alaska would have already had a negotiated contract if during negotiations:

Alaska pilots did not fly Premium/VSA/time-and-a-half
Alaska pilots did not sell back vacation
Alaska pilots did not work on vacation
Alaska pilots did not work on days off
Alaska pilots did not build their lines up to 117 max

It's an unwritten rule that you do not do things like these during negotiations. Jeff Parker @ American did not do the "right thing" out of the goodness of his heart. He saw the writing on the wall. American pilots spelled it out to him.

You are only as strong as your union. What people forget is that the Union is not an MEC or a negotiating committee. The Union is the pilot in the seat next to you. If he or she is flying premium or VSA during negotiations, the Union is weak. By that definition, the union at Alaska is VERY, VERY weak, then and still now.

Companies, including Alaska, only understand a few things. They understand canceled flights, delayed flights, and increased training costs due to pilots leaving for greener pastures. Right or wrong, you do not get the contract you deserve. You get the contract you demand. Right or wrong, it is the reality under the RLA. (BTW, Where are the completion and on-time rates at Alaska? At Virgin?)

No, things have NOT changed at Alaska. It's the same thing all over again.

No matter the outcome of your arbitration, it'll only decide a few items. Alaska pilots will still be stuck with the same crappy work rules and lack of QoL at an airline with the longest list of unsettled grievances. They'll be facing openers in just two years, openers and section six negotiations with the same disingenuous approach from management.

As far as your ad hominem attacks against me, I will not respond in kind. I never have gone there. I will not start now. I refuse to stoop. However, in response to your latest attack, I will only repeat along the lines of what I said last time:

Take a deep breath. Take another bite of your PayDay candy bar and wash it down with another swig of Kool-aid. Heck, finish them both. Alaska has plenty more where that came from; because, Brad Tilden, the Cooch and Tom Kemp love you long time.

Lastly, Don't worry about me. Living well is the best revenge.
Drop the ****** Mike! This should be required reading for everyone on the property and getting hired. Well Said! Sad but oh so true...