View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 07:24 PM
MobiusOne
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Default PPL training in a Cirrus.

Anybody have any opinions on this?

I never figured a Cirrus as a trainer, I always thought they were marketed as a upper level private owner aircraft.

I'm interested how some flight schools are going towards the Cirrus as a trainer. I'm interested in getting some people's opinions on how they might or might not handle the abuse that Cessna's are usually subjected to.

Well, I guess Google answered my own question.

http://www.glasscockpitaviation.com/...tpilotsr20.htm

Can you get your private pilot's certificate in an SR20?

Short answer: yes. A Cirrus is a fairly simple aircraft to fly, and the SR20 is the best choice of the Cirrus line. The difference in the aircraft is the automation and technology. It will provide you with an opportunity to get experience in the latest equipment from the start. This will require a certain amount of dedication on the part of the student in learning the equipment, similar to learning a new software package on a computer. In the same way, someone who learns software quickly will probably do quite well with a Cirrus. Some people have a fascination with technology and a hunger to explore its capabilities. If this sounds like you, you will really enjoy and probably do very well learning to fly in a Cirrus. Take a look at this article to get a student's viewpoint.
Should you get your private pilot's certificate in a Cirrus? Just because you have the aptitude to operate the aircraft does not necessarily mean that you have the need for it. Consider your purpose. Do you desire to own your own technically advanced aircraft in the future? Are you tired of waiting at airports for your airline flight and would rather transport yourself in luxury and safety? In that case, it makes sense, and your future insurance bill may be drastically lower if you train in the advanced aircraft from the start. In fact, you may save enough to justify the additional cost of training.
Lately there has been a lot of news about flight schools purchasing fleets of SR20s to use in their training programs. There is a good reason for this, as the manufacturers are producing more and more of these "glass cockpit" aircraft, and less of the traditional round gauge variety. What about learning in a glass cockpit Cessna? Cessnas have a great track record, and many pilots began in them. The advantage of a Cirrus is the new design. With a Cessna, even though it is a great aircraft, it's an old airframe, and you could expect 20 to 30 knots less of airspeed at the same fuel burn rate. Cirrus has incorporated several safety features such as an airframe parachute and airbags with a totally new airframe and interior luxury. A demo flight in each aircraft will speak volumes about the differences here. Also, I have found that the Avidyne instrument panel in the Cirrus is more user friendly and intuitive. The G1000 panels in the Cessna are quite capable, but will require more diligence for the student due to the more complex layout. Take a look at this overview for more information. A simpler interface will reward you with more time to look out the window, instead of weeding your way through screens of information.
Terry's First Solo Flight

Last edited by MobiusOne; 10-09-2007 at 07:40 PM.