View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 04:25 PM
galaxy flyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

It’s a very rare pilot who aspires to be a corporate pilot, we all want(ed) to at an airline, preferably at what is termed “legacy”. Life interferes with those plans—energy crunches, recessions, marriage(s), furloughs, and plain old “I didn’t get an interview or get an offer”. All these outcomes and more have made great pilots wind up in a corporate jet.

It can be a great job, interesting flying, good pay which will lag airlines, challenges and opportunities for leadership. I retired my last job with a pension and healthy (7 figure 401k). It was great fun, loved being chief pilot and line crew dog. I worked with a great group of people, much more personal rewards that being a number on th3 list. Safety isn’t an issue—professionally flown corporate jets, not charter, are as safe as any flying. One advantage, lose your gig, you can start again as a captain with similar compensation often. Not always.

Lastly, for me a tediophobe, the never-ending challenges were worth a lot just for entertainment. But, not many pilots enjoy finding out tomorrow you’re going to South Africa, then Dubai to airline home.

GF