View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Spartan07
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: C152

Originally Posted by FlyerJosh View Post
Learn the good old fashioned way and learn the basics. Once you have them mastered, then learn how to use the nifty electronics and gizmos. That way if you ever lose the nifty toys (and you will if you fly enough), you can always revert back to "old school" methods.
Yeah I always feel like a black sheep when it comes to this. I'm 6'1" and about 220-230 and have the option of training in a GPS equipped 172 (We don't use the GPS except for a lot later in our training). However, I waive the option and still fly in a 152 (Always mindful of our fuel load and only take in my gear bag what I absolutely need for the lesson). Also, as per the FAA we are generally allowed to use electronic flight computers (like ASA's CX-2) for flight calculations and VFR navigation. I also waive that privilege and plan, navigate, and aviate with the trusty old E6.

I always get an earful from other students that don't attend my school about how much easier/cooler it is to use glass instead of 'Those old school P.O.S gauges' and it just drives me up the wall. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing it the hard way for no reason but at the end of the day it gives me the warm fuzzies to know that I can get from here to there with nothing but a sectional and a silly little spinny thing.

All this effort seemed worth it when my instructor put me under the hood and had me do a VOR crosscheck and a diversion without being able to see out the window or some fancy GPS overlay and we then arrived exactly on time within about a mile of the target airport.