Thread: Planesense
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017, 07:52 PM
DarkSideMoon
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Originally Posted by tctaeg View Post
Most of this is on you. The times are what they are. Run the schedule and to hell with the turn times. People get themselves worked up over the dumbest things. Run the schedule or day your given. If you're late, you're late. That's on the FOC to explain and worry about, not you. You have to act like an adult and get food.
Screw you dude. I'm an adult. You try telling a gung-ho company man captain to ignore the passenger that just walked out to the airplane right when you pulled up that you can't go because you're going to get food. Wait for the call from the office pilot who won't back you up. The captains I've flown with that actually put their foot down get chewed out.
You going without is your fault and your captains. Regardless of the turn times, you just do the best you can and be done with it. I also disagree about the retention rates. They are doing what they can and more changes on the horizon.

What exactly are they doing? When you have captains that have been here 10+ years leaving that isn't a good sign.

As an F.O. I averaged 3k plus per check with the O.T. and I made nearly 65k first year.
You worked 80 days of OT? Good for you. Did you enjoy the 64 days off you got for the entire year? I shouldn't have to work 83% of the year to make a decent wage

First year captain nearly 100k.

Sure, if you work an absolute insane amount of OT. I can do the same thing here within the framework of a contract that doesn't let the company schedulers screw me on a whim. There are plenty of opportunities as an IP that can add a TREMENDOUS amounts of $$ just as in anything you have to work for what you want in life. 6 days extra a month nets around 5k plus per diem.
As a captain. Again, that means you spend SIX ****ING DAYS a month at home. That's not sustainable.

Add that to the base captain rate plus per diem equals 106 to 108k. Insurance is extremely good. It cost us around $800 to have our child. The main lacking here is the 401k match. Regionals are 6

My regional matches 10.

majors top out depending on years of service around 12 or more depending on carriers. I have 25.2% rate of return on my investments as of the close of market today. I put 20% in per check. I don't do the company 401k. This is a fun job and you can make your day the best or miserable. It teaches you finesse and other things too.

The Pilatus doesn't require finesse. The nature of the airframe means you can be extremely sloppy with your descent /approach planning and it still work out great. I've seen plenty of captains salvage things that would've been a go-around in a jet.

You'll be the same one after 4 months at the airlines complaining too.

[B]Look me up in 4 months, if I'm *****ing about where I'm at then that's a fair point. I've had flying jobs before this that I never complained about[\B]

Same 6 airports each week and having to actually fly without the autopilot. Rotate positive rate gear up autopilot on. 100 above autopilot off powr and land.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Enjoy going to MVY/BED/TEB/ACK 150 times a year. If I want to go have fun I can go putz around in a 150.
Upgrade in 2 years or 4 years doing the same thing. The odds of flying a heavy is slim to none. There are 20year guys still on the 88 or smaller. Never hold the holidays. I have a good friend with 25 plus at AA that still doesn't have seniority to hold Christmas.
With the manadatory retirements that likely won't be a problem for me. The numbers don't lie. I worked every holiday this year at planesense anyway. Multiple friends at regionals got thanksgiving and Christmas off within the first year. It is what you make it. Your friend got unlucky with his timing.
In fact this year he just will be able to hold. 24 years. He missed 24 Christmases and thanksgivings with his kids. Never saw them. It's not worth it for me. Travel is ok when you can get on the plane. No Positive space. The bonus is ok until year two you're back making 35 an hr. Yeah 75 guaranteed a month. Do the math. No thanks. Hell with the regionals. Stay here for 3k hours or more and go direct to the majors or atlas.

Atlas? Dude your ignorance is showing. You're buying into Uncle Ray's anti airline spiel hook line and sinker without doing any real research.

Net jets.

Lol. You ever talk to netjets pilots? If you think I'm whiny you'd kill yourself flying with those guys. At the end of the day a low time pilot wanting to stay corporate could spend god knows how long as a PC-12 captain at planesense in the hopes of moving up to to the jet to then move to XOjet or NetJets. Or they could go to a regional, make good money, get a multi ATP and a type, upgrade to captain, and then move to a major in a year or two or slide back into a nice GulfStream or citation X job.
See bolded replies. At the end of the day it isn't a horrible place to work but it's hardly rainbows and sunshine.

Last edited by DarkSideMoon; 10-24-2017 at 08:12 PM.