View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 05:35 PM
planecrazyjenn
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: BE-76

There really isn't a "right" degree for this field. If you have a second interest, then by all means go for it. It does leave you with options should, God forbid, something happen to you. If you lose a limb, your going to be limited to career fields anyway...but that's stretching things. Most medical conditions would still allow you into another field, as would a furlough.

Aviation isn't a "bad" degree, but like many have said in other threads it doesn't leave you with much of an option for anything...and if something bad happens - you really don't want to have to cross train career fields if you don't have to. Doctors learn medicine, lawyers learn law, etc. you get the point. What they all have in common - usually an undergraduate degree in something other than their primary career field. ie biology/pre med, criminal justice/pre law. I wanted to be a vet, so I did zoology/pre vet. Leave yourself options. Pilots go to flight school. The undergrad degree is just another hiring tool to weed people out, and show you can go from start to finish in something that you'll probably never use. Do I agree? No. But that's how the game is played. Make your time in college useful in the event you can't fly.

ATC isn't always a good backup due to the fact they require a 2nd class medical too, at least they used to...please correct me if I'm wrong. It's interesting and by all means would be interesting if you got furloughed.

So to sum it up, I think where all of the debating over aviation v. non aviation degrees come from is simply a matter of educational diversity and having a back up plan for when things hit the fan.

Now the whole on on campus v. online deal...that's a whole 'nother debate.