View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 06:55 PM
planecrazyjenn
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: BE-76

Plane, not saying it's any less useful...it, alone, just doesn't prepare you (much) for the unlikely event that you lose your medical or such. Trust me, I know what losing a medical is like. I'm just VERY fortunate that I got it back...however there's no guarantee I'll keep it til I'm 60.

Should you choose to major in aviation, great! Having a second major, or minor could really help...especially if you had a fall back career that doesn't require a degree in anything particular. Most fields are pretty open to degrees, as long as they are close.

Point is, you'll need that overpriced degree to make it into the majors...and yes, study something you love. But don't use aviation as a way through 4 years, because you can be just as good of a pilot and not take that route. There's many people on this forum who majored in it, and are happy. On the other and, there are many - including myself - who have 1, 2, 3 degrees and have never set foot in a college aviation class. If your going to pitch out that kinda money, make sure your covering ALL your bases in your future. Look both long and short term, and you'll get everything you want from your college experience...no matter what your primary major is.