View Single Post
Old 10-26-2017, 07:55 AM
Lobaeux
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Airplane

Originally Posted by flensr View Post
I saw a rumor posted elsewhere today that the USAF got 3 out of the 25 they were asking for in the latest recall effort. Further rumor has it that they'll open up the voluntary recall to flying instructor jobs, which matches the word of mouth rumor I got from a flying training wing commander about 8 months ago.

I think they'd get more volunteers if they opened up flying reserve jobs to pilots who are already retirement eligible. Right now, that requires a high level waiver and is generally granted only for very undermanned specialties (like RPA). I suspect more than a handful of retired mil would welcome the chance to fly the T-6 for a few weeks every couple of months, just for fun. Not sure it would really help though, since permanent party IPs are crucial to student continuity and dramatically increasing part-time TR utilization could potentially crush student training continuity.
I’m fully expecting this EO will have very, very little influence on the airlines. The guys who I imagine will voluntarily accept a return either aren’t working or aren’t working in the airlines. It would be interesting to hear more details though.