Thread: Pax complains about AA on twitter

tyler durden , 10-31-2017 09:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off
tyler durden
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Sep 2014
Quote: Okay, now that's kind of funny. You have tough competition with 95% of the other "privileged white guys"? You realize that the odds are ever in your favor, right? Did it ever occur to you that many minorities and women do not get scholarships and are not hired because of EEOC mandated quotas? That maybe they are competitive on their own merits?

I never understand why people begrudge the tiny percentage of hiring going to those of different colors or different sex. They really aren't taking all of the slots, there just aren't enough of them. And the vast majority of them are just as qualified as you are, or more so. The fact that there are some targeted scholarships that a small number get, so what?
Hopefully this will help answer your question:

In a motion filed with Senior U.S. District Court Judge Hubert F. Will, the EEOC charged that United failed to hire minority and female pilots at twice the percentage of qualified applicants, as it had agreed to do in 1976.

An EEOC spokesman said that if 10 percent of pilot applicants in a given year were women, United had agreed that 20 percent of the applicants hired would be women.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1988-09-13/business/8801300011_1_entry-level-pilots-pilot-applicants-minorities

A United spokesman, Joe Hopkins, said in 1987 that the company had begun complying with the requirements of the court decree in that year, and had been hampered before that by intense demand among all airlines for minority and women pilots.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-05-20/business/9405200384_1_entry-level-pilots-women-pilots-united-airlines

Not sure how I can make it any clearer but I'll try. If you were in a pool of candidates, would you want to be in the "average" pile that represents the 95% white male or would you want to be in the 5% 'special' (privileged?) pile that, by law, MUST get hired at twice the rate of their white male counterparts?

You don't believe this to be unfair? How bout illegal? Unethical? Racist/sexist? Why should KSwift, an African-American brought up in a successful household with educated parents be accorded legally enhanced status over an under privileged white male...because of the color of his skin? I believe there is a name for that behavior.

What about white females? Aren't they equally likely to come from a "privileged" household then their white male counterparts?

If, as you claim, they are just as qualified as their white male counterparts, why does the law stipulate they are hired at twice the rate? Why the special scholarships, internships, quotas?

Discrimination: the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex