Old 10-12-2007, 09:02 AM
Osmosis
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Default Vacation Leveling on a VTO Filled With Reserve

I was surprised to find this out, so maybe others will like to know this contract tidbit. I have talked to a few other pilots on the subject, and they were all surprised.

I received zero leveling for vacation I had in the beginning of this month when I showed for the reserve line I received from my VTO. I made some calls to scheduling and was told VTO lines comprised of reserve do not receive vacation leveling. Of course we all know that normal reserve (Or as they define it, reserve line holders) do receive leveling from vacation when it precedes a block of reserve.

Anyway, I looked into the contract for my own clarification and all I found was that this situation is not specifically addressed. I found alot of references that would conclude someone into believing they should be leveled, but no specific reference that a VTO line comprised of reserve would be leveled for vacation.

I took the issue to contract enforcement and addressed the "greyness" of the subject, and my opinion that I should have been leveled. I did include my references from the contract, and the arguement that nowhere in the contract does it distinguish different rules for a VTO line of reserve or a reserve line from a reserve line holder. Using that arguement, I felt that since reserve line rules apply to VTO reserve lines, that leveling for those rules should apply.

Unfortunately contract enforcement disagreed with my references applying and my arguement that reserve line rules apply to VTO reserve lines. Apparently, this has been addressed in previous contract negotiations and has always been the case. As enforcement said, the intent of the contract is that we do not get leveled for vacation if you receive reserve on your VTO... so word to the wise.

Background info:
-I had 3 vacation days at the beginning of the month before my reserve days assigned via a VTO.
-18 hours were deducted from my vacation bank.
-Normal RLG for the month was 85 hours, my RLG became 72 hours.

I hope this info helps someone in the future!