Thread: Planesense
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 06:36 PM
dera
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by brocklee9000 View Post
Hey, a lot of us would gladly go that route. But we've all beaten the discussion of "regionals and mainline have opened the hiring floodgates" to death so it doesn't need repeating. So many "lower time" 135s still want around 1000TT and a good amount of multi. Many instructors will take the obvious route of "suck it up for a few more months for that next 500 hours" and then be on their way, versus jumping to 135 and spending the next 6-12 months before they upgrade there. And since a lot of these outfits have these contracts, that means instead of sticking it out for 6 more months they now will spend two years at 135, a net setback of 18 months. I'm curious to see what ends up happening, because I think there will be a significant onslaught of R-ATP eligble CFIs. For me, it's a no brainer: I need 675 more hours to go to a regional, which is around the same time I'd be really competitive for many 135s (and still falling short of single pilot IFR). I know we don't make up the majority of the upcoming pilot force but between us R-ATP guys and the guys who can go to any regional at 1500, I think it will be very interesting to watch what happens to 135, many of whom hire between 1000 and 2000TT.
I'd say most "lower time 135's" hire between 600-800. I got hired at 700ish.
I understand where the job market is, and how it is just a numbers game at the moment. But if anyone claims (and plenty of people here do) that a 1500 (or less, if R-ATP) CFI is better qualified and prepared than a 135 guy with 1500 hours, they are just full of it.
I'm in a nice spot in life, where I'm not in a hurry to get to majors as fast as I can. Unless you are in your late 40's, this should make no difference in your QOL. You'll make more money you know what to do with. I actually like the 1500 hour rule, and I think the regionals should have higher standards than what they currently have.