Thread: Planesense
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 07:59 AM
brocklee9000
I Pass the Butter

Joined APC: May 2017

Originally Posted by dera View Post
I'd say most "lower time 135's" hire between 600-800. I got hired at 700ish.
I understand where the job market is, and how it is just a numbers game at the moment. But if anyone claims (and plenty of people here do) that a 1500 (or less, if R-ATP) CFI is better qualified and prepared than a 135 guy with 1500 hours, they are just full of it.
I'm in a nice spot in life, where I'm not in a hurry to get to majors as fast as I can. Unless you are in your late 40's, this should make no difference in your QOL. You'll make more money you know what to do with. I actually like the 1500 hour rule, and I think the regionals should have higher standards than what they currently have.
No I agree, but I don't bring up that can of worms around here. Like I said, I would gladly go fly 135 type operation so I could actually gain real-world flying experience, but at this snapshot in time it just doesn't make sense. I've had a CJO with one of the better regionals since before I even had a commercial certificate, and once I'm within a couple months of 1000 hours I can literally interview with any regional I wanted. I'm in my mid 20s and have a family, so I am artificially limited in what I can do, and I have to think big-picture, career progression, job security, earnings potential. In hindsight the 1500 hour rule has been good, look at what it has done with contracts and pay. I could discuss the pros and cons of 1500 hours, CFIing for the hours, etc all day long but refrain because of the echo chamber of "it makes you such a good pilot and you'll love it and prepares you for 121 flying."