Old 11-10-2017, 11:48 AM
BeatNavy
Covfefe

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Originally Posted by Mundergun View Post
As a commissioned Army NG rotary Pilot is it possible/difficult to transition to Air National Guard fixed wing? I currently fly fixed wing civilian as a cfi already. Any help is appreciated thanks
Possible but not easy. You have to go through all of AF pilot training (UPT) and can’t have more than 5 years commissioned or be 30 by the time you start. You need exceptions to policy to get around that, which aren’t impossible to get, but units don’t want to do it when they have a ton of applicants who don’t need waivers. First step is to start rushing units and sell yourself. If you get lucky that can be quick. Or it can take years. Though rated already, you are rushing/applying for a UPT slot and competing against younger civilians, which puts you at a disadvantage. Admin wise, most apps require standard stuff...but you have to take the AFOQT/TBAS (kind of like the AFAST/SIFT) and at some point after you get hired get an FC1 physical. They won’t take your army flight physical. Depending on how you do it you may even have to go through MEPS. I did because I had a break in service.

Bogidope.com and flyingsquadron.com have info on upcoming boards and a whole lot of other good info. Especially as a rated guy, you can rush most units outside of formal meet and greets and/or other times besides when they have an upcoming board. I rushed many units out of the blue and then applied when their boards came up. And you can get hired outside of the formal boards, as well.