Thread: DAL Class drops
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 07:05 AM
gloopy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: window seat

Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
Are you trying to tell me that companies/employers haven’t fired older workers to keep from paying them more and to cut down on benefit usage/retirement obligations? You are living in a bubble if you think that.
LOLWUT? That's 100% irrelevant it doesn't even justify a response but I'll provide one anyway.

1. I never said that
2. We're a seniority list with a CBA, ergo:
3. That's not an issue here anyway
4. This would have absolutely nothing to do with how new hire class seniority was assigned even IF it were a thing being a pilot on a SL with a CBA, which it isn't here anyway.

All things being equal in a new hire class, which I would hope we can agree on, drawing names from a hat would be the fairest way to determine seniority. Or, as you point out, base it on the order the job offers went out.
I still would go with age. My SSN helped me gain class seniority compared to what age would have, and I'd be against retroactively modifying anyone's seniority anyway. But going forward age is the best way to do it. The health argument is stupid because in many cases you can control large portions of your health, both now and during your career. With age you WILL be out on your 65th b'day (hopefully we can hold that line) but even if it changes, whatever age it is would change for everyone anyway. If someone has a decade or two less to spend on the list, an extra 10 or 20 spots is fair and reasonable and no one is victimized over it.

Its not just about "better choices" either. 99% of those "better choices" are already rewarded by the mentally and spiritually superior young buck ninja pilot already getting hired and on the list years or decades earlier anyway. That pilot will forever be senior to all others hired after them.

But I do agree that a truly random way to assign it would be better than the current method. I statistically would have done worse if it was done by age or random assignment (although its possible to have done better with a very lucky draw, statistically its unlikely for me) so this isn't sour grapes and I'd have nothing to gain anyway even if we did change it, retroactively which no one is advocating for, and I had a time machine to go back to anyway. In any case that's the 3rd best way to do it IMO.

The 2nd best way being date of interview/CJO. Yes you'll still have pilots who interviewed first but got put in later classes etc. But we're only talking about in class seniority since a class is all hired on the same day. Date of CJO is at least something I can't fathom anyone objecting to.