View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 11:06 AM
shrsailplanes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017
Default Returning to Professional Flying

Back in 2004 I attended a professional flying academy and got my Commercial Multi, Instrument Rating, CFI and CFII. I worked for that school for 1 year and got some Cheyenne time to boot. (the school had a charter side of the business as well)

I got hired at Colgan to fly the Saab 340. Made it through school and IOE and I had to leave shortly after starting at my base. I was in my mid 30's at the time and I was creating a financial nightmare for myself. I was getting $17/hr as an FO.

It was a very difficult decision because I love to fly, but I thought I had left aviation forever. An AA captain is telling me I should go back. The climate has changed dramatically and now he has the bug stirring back in me again.

I have about 900hrs total time, 100 multi and about 50 Turbine. I need a flight review and IPC. I let my CFI's lapse.

I have talked to some people about Mokulele and Boutique to bring me up to the 1500hrs I need to get into the regionals.

Can anyone tell me if it is realistic to think I could get into one of these 135 operations? The lapse has been almost 12 years. I know I will do fine with getting current again, but do I need to fly a couple hundred hours before someone will look at me? I am hoping not to have to get my CFI again.

I am in a much better financial situation to be able to weather the storm of low pay in the regionals although I see that has improved quite a bit since Colgan.

Thanks in advance for any responses.