View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 05:32 AM
FlyingJman
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: Transitioning

Originally Posted by scudrunner13 View Post
Good Afternoon,

I recently received an email from United about being selected for the pilot selection process. First step is the Hogan, any advice or info on passing it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
+++ from an article I found on these types of tests in general: +++

The ‘Big 5’ Aspects of Personality

The personality questionnaires used in the recruitment and selection process of any company are the intellectual property of the companies that produce them. What goes into them, and what the customer (the company doing the hiring) are looking for specifically are proprietary information. However, it's helpful to know what general areas they all are trying to assess... The personality traits they look at can be lumped into 5 general categories/personality traits which are:

• Extraversion
• Agreeableness
• Conscientiousness, (sometimes referred to as Prudence)
• Neuroticism
• Openness to Experience

It is important to ignore the positive or negative associations that these words have in everyday language. For example, Agreeableness is obviously advantageous for achieving and maintaining popularity. But is not useful in situations that require tough or totally objective decisions. ‘Disagreeable’ people can make excellent scientists, critics, or soldiers. Remember, none of the five traits is in themselves positive, or negative, they are simply characteristics that individuals exhibit to a greater or lesser extent. Each of these 5 personality traits describes, relative to other people, the frequency or intensity of a person's feelings, thoughts, or behaviours. In other words, all 5 personality traits exist on a continuum rather than as attributes that a person does or does not have.

+++ End of article excerpt +++

Comment: For anyone that's passed the Hogan, all they can really tell you is that they passed. Just barely? or Crushed it? Who knows?... but I think it's important to at least understand the big 5 areas listed above... Then, I think what you need to do is run your answers through the filter of these big 5... and more importantly, ask yourself, what would a prospective employer be looking for in each of these 5 areas for a prospective first officer/captain.

I've known good people/pilots that failed this test, and after talking to them, they thought it was some weird test designed to specifically measure their technical piloting abilities... After taking it myself, it seems pretty obvious these are NOT tests written by and specifically for pilots... but if that's all you've ever been tested on in the last whatever number of years I guess you might fail to see these tests for what they are.

IMO, they are tests written by psychologists, at the behest of HR departments, as a way to ultimately satisfy legal departments. I hope they aren't the first hurdle in the hiring process in the future because I think they unnecessarily screen out some great people/pilots.

more info can be found here:

Psychometric Success - Free Practice Aptitude Tests