Old 11-16-2017, 07:25 PM
DC8DRIVER
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: 747

Originally Posted by Crusoe View Post
An open letter to the CEO from an Atlas Captain (not me):

Dear Boss,

I came here with high hopes. I (mostly) believed the rah-rah speech delivered to us in new-hire class: How you were going to start negotiations in good-faith early, how we were going to get an AA “lite” contract or better, how the company was going to greatly expand – 2,000 pilots in 2 years, etc. I used to be the first one on the crew bus and used to fix my hotel and transportation problems when the ball routinely got dropped. I was a highly self-motivated employee and had an innate desire to “accomplish the mission” that was trained into me from my military service. I also brought over 25 years of world-wide flying experience with me. I was very glad to get the job and frankly, also thought you were pretty lucky to have me.

A short 3 years later everything has changed. NONE of the things promised have come to pass. Rather than a collaborative environment, we work in a hostile one. Rather than make a deal with us, you sue us. You don't appear to be negotiating in good faith. The CBA is routinely violated. We don't have an adequate support staff, which in and of itself is crippling the operation. Our pilot turnover is atrocious. I can only imagine the $millions we are wasting on training because most people leave here as soon as they get the chance. Our new-hire experience level is plummeting because people with real experience don’t bother applying here anymore. Why should they? Other companies compensate their pilots fairly and they don’t try and blame all the company’s woes on them.

My motivation has turned to disillusionment. I’m a Captain here now and even as old as I am, I’m considering leaving. I wonder if you’ve really thought through your current strategy to its logical conclusion. Even if you “win” and end up shoving a crappy amalgamated contract down our throats, you’re going to lose. You won’t have the pilots left to man the operation. While you may see us as little more than cannon fodder, that is not the case. WE are what generates the revenue. WE are the ones that enabled you to become $66 million dollar men. WE are not the ones burning this place down. I implore you to put the matches down and rethink your position. If you will but make a reasonable deal with our union negotiators, we can work together to make this an industry leading company that we ALL can profit from. Otherwise, we will burn into an ignominious pile of ash. And that will be a sad day for all.

Sincerely,

One of your Captains

(Previously posted on Twitter & FB)
Very accurate and well written. Thanks for posting.