View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 02:39 PM
mojo6911
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by thedud View Post
Hello All. Anyone willing to share their real specific experiences at Dumont. Good, bad, ugly, illegal, bending or breaking regulations, safety......rest.....maintenance.
Seems to be a lot of propaganda and fluffy sugar plum fairy stories but not a lot of real world job experience.
Thanks
What do you want to know?

Good:
  • You're on the road 80% of the time or more, so you rarely have to deal with management directly.
  • Hotels are Marriott or Hilton properties. There is a dollar limit, but if you are in a high demand area, you never get any flack for getting an expensive hotel if that's all there is. The worst hotel I stayed in was a Holiday Inn Express, because I was in the middle of nowhere.
  • I never got pushed into doing a trip. If an airplane breaks, that's the end of it. You never get asked to limp an illegal airplane home. With that said, you will have to MEL items and fly (legally) under the MEL.

Bad:
  • Schedule. Some guys love a 12/10. I couldn't adjust to it. Sometimes they have to rob a day from you, without your consent, for coverage. You get paid a bonus for this, but frankly, it isn't worth another day on the road, IMO.
  • No seniority or career progression. Some people upgrade fast, some never upgrade. It is kind of all over the place.
  • Pay. This was the main reason I left. When I upgraded, I was lowballed.
  • The airplanes always break. They're really old airplanes with lots of hours on them.

That's pretty much it. As far as 135 goes, it probably isn't the best, but it is far from the worst.