View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 10:31 PM
NH115
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2017
Default Options?

Well for some time now I am pondering the same question as I'm sure most every other pilot has faced...

I'm only 19 years old with all my ratings up to CFI/CFII. Early last summer whilst just graduating high school, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University contacted me offering a sizable check that covers most of my tuition at the school if I promise to work for them for the four years I will be here whilst earning a degree in Aeronautics. I figured this to be a pretty sweet deal so how could I not accept it?

But the question I am facing is what I want to do with this career path I have chosen. Military or civilian? By the time I graduate from ERAU I will have well over 1500 hours so options are opening up. I have talked to many pilots trying to get there take on my dilemma. Some have said to join the military, but pilot spots are hard to obtain. Others say to join the airlines right out of college and obtain a great seniority spot.

The other day I met an Air Force guy who is a reservist but still flies regularly with his C-17 unit whilst flying 319/20's for AAL. This guy previously spent 10 years active duty and attended a military college in Virginia. Given my present position, I cannot take that same path... However a couple of days ago I came across the Air National Guard page and liked what they had to offer. At a minimum members are required to work one weekend a month and 15 days a year (for a specific unit). Being a member while holding an airline position sounds awesome, and I would love to make that a reality for myslef.

However the ANG has several requirements for people who have not served before. Some of these requirements include taking the ASVAB and attending Basic Military Training at Lackland AFB. How would this workout for me? Should I attend this after college and put a hold on joining the airlines right away? Or am I looking in the wrong direction entirely?

As far back as I can remember I have wanted to serve and be apart of the military family. However my pilot training in the past has naturally led me into the position I am in. The military is not an easy lifestyle as I am told, but it's something that my gut is telling me to do.

All in all I just want to know if I am on the right path and looking in the right direction. Should I go straight to the regionals, secure a job/seniority spot, then look into a military career? Or should I go for a military career right out of college? Any insight that you guys can provide would greatly be appreciated.

Respectfully,

Nelson