Thread: SIU Carbondale
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2006, 05:51 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by jacobsos
But will graduating with a degree in Aviation Management with Commercial and Multi-engine ratings put me on the right track? I still have three years left on my enlistment contract, so I have time to change schools.

What will the biggest factor be for me once I graduate? Will my time in the military score me any points when it comes to the hiring process?
Get a non-aviation degree, or an engineering degree in the aerospace field. DO NOT get a Av mgt. or Av science degree...these have no practical benefit in the real world.

Commercial & multi ratings are just the very beginning of the training and experience building process. In 4 years of college you should be able to get all your ratings PVT, IR, COM, ME, CFI, CFII, MEI in 2 years, then spend the last two working as a CFI. The goal would be to accumulate 1000 total hours and 100+ ME hours by the time you graduate...that would put you in the running for a small crago or regional job. It might be tougher if you have to work full time to make ends meet.

If your school has a program that takes 4 years to get a COM/ME, then I would train at a local FBO while attending college. You don't even need an aviation college...for that kind of money go to a state school and fly on the side.

I quite my job, got all of my post-PVT ratings in 7 months, worked as a CFI for 2 years (sometimes part-time), then got hired at a regional. So did three other guys I worked with, one other guy (no degree) had to do night cargo before the regional thing.

Biggest hiring factor is ratings and flight time, especially ME time. A 4 year degree is very helpful at the regional level (some require it, all prefer it), and getting a reference from someone can often make the difference in this business. These things are all essentially worthless, they might be entertaining, but they cost huge $$$ and will rarely have any impact on your job prospects: A non-engineering "aviation degree", training in airline operations, jet systems, or jet simulator time. Save your $$$.

Your military background will be a small plus.