View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 09:30 AM
Ski Bird
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2017

Here is a pretty good link.

Do a google search for 'FAA guidance to AME' it should be one of the first hits.

Once there, the link you need to be looking for is Substances / Dependence / Abuse

(This can be a tricky subject for some guys ... I'm not suggesting that this may be an issue. Rather, this is just where the FAA has tucked away the DUI/DWI Alcohol Incidents Disposition Table).

Thresholds the AME will be looking for: 5 or more years ago, single incident, BAC less than 0.15

Sounds like you can check all of these boxes, but there is still discretion on the AME's part via the exam and interview.

I would bring any/all paperwork that you have, particularly the police report with the BAC. If BAC is unavailable/unknown ... there are different procedures the AME will have to follow (and that is where the 10 years in the rearview comes into play)

You may have to submit a personal statement as well — something along the lines of 'I messed up, here are the facts/dates, and I know what a big mistake this was. Here is my plan so it won't happen again.'

Good luck. The road back after one event is relatively easy with the right mindset. Two (or more) events make it incredibly tricky, perhaps unlikely, and/or prohibitively expensive to receive a medical certificate.

Now, even after all of that, all we're talking about is the medical certificate ... whether or not an employer will consider your application is another matter.

I tend to agree with Rickair7777's assessment (regionals = yes, majors = maybe, after a delay).