Thread: New to 135
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 02:47 PM
dera
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by Brokensquawk View Post
I’m new to 135 (hired on in October, and IFR Capt, single pilot op).

To my surprise the pay is about 1/3 less than quoted (have it in writing), and the flight schedule really has me looking at 135.267 pretty hard.

I would like a second opinion on if this is a legal flight:

Scenario:
Take off to reposition at 1800 (91 leg)
Fly route, last 135 leg/cargo drop at 0400, reposition for fuel, and do return leg home, engine shut down “time off duty” approximately 1030 next day.

It’s sheduled to be “done” at 0800, but that is nowhere near realistic. Looking back at the flight on flightaware, the earliest that anyone has returned was 0930.

I’ve heard both ways regarding the 14hr duty Day being regulatory. Can they say it’s a realistic schedule if the “end time” has never been achieved?

It’s also 9.5 hrs of flight time; single pilot. They say that’s ok because the last 4.5 hrs of it are conducted part 91, so they say it’s ok. I did discuss the 10hr crew rest issue, and they just took me off the schedule completely the next day.

I’ve tried a couple times to reach the FSDO, but I kind of want to ask this question anonymously and keep getting voicemail.

Fortunately I’ve got options; I’m only about 200 short of ATP mins.
The duty hours are ANY commercial flying, not just under 135. You are busting 135.265/267. And remember, it is your ticket on the line.