View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 09:26 AM
PSA Recruiter
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2017

I get a couple dozen PM's here each week, and if the question/answer seems relevant to a large group, I'll usually post that info here. Due to a discussion today, I will add to my previous post to make sure that I was not misleading about base bidding.

Once you are awarded a new base, it can take 6-8 weeks (or sometimes longer, especially around the December/January time for some reason) for that award to be effective. If you were awarded a new base in the last FO bid that closed a couple days ago, your new base would be effective March 2nd. So about 3 months for this most recent award. You need to plan ahead.

There have been months where this award only takes a month to be effective, so just look at the "effective" date.

Also, if you screw up your bid and bid incorrectly for a base (or do not bid at all) you will be stuck with something that you don't want. Bidding is pretty easy, and it is important to bid what you want.

During training, the bids are now done via our scheduling computer system (so I have been told...it used to be with a paper bid on the first one). If you don't pay attention to the email that they send you and do not bid correctly, or do not bid at all, then you will likely not get a base that you want.

So, pay attention and bid correctly. Pay attention to the details of when/how to bid. Plan ahead, and make sure that you bid for something that you want.

Also, just because reserve times or times to hold a particular base are currently "X" months, it doesn't mean that it will stay like that. The guys that post those grids on here each month are providing all of us a great service, and it is something that is incredibly helpful. But in the airline business, change is the greatest constant. Times fluctuate. Always plan on it taking a few more months to hold a particular base, and know that reserve times can always increase or decrease. We typically present what is happening right now, because that is real information and not a projection.

My intention on here is to present correct information and give you real answers. I do not get involved in rumors, and try not to engage trolls. Most all of the "regulars" on here know me and they will call me out very quickly if I were to post something that is misleading. In fact, when we set up this account, I sent messages to the majority of the "regulars" and told them who has access to this account and to feel free to PM, call, text, or email if we post anything that is incorrect or misleading. That still holds true.