View Single Post
Old 11-27-2017, 09:08 PM
Unkown Rider
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2017
Default Heart Murmur - new development

Went to my family Dr. / AME.

Have been out of flying for years and wanted to get back in, so I got a normal average Joe physical before going for the official FAA 1st class.

Dr. noted a heart murmur which was never there before.

I had gone to a Cardiologist a year earlier for mild chest pain, Cardiologist ran nuclear stress tests and echo and sonogram... All clear but Cardiologist made no mention of the heart murmur. A second Dr. also noted the heart murmur.

I've made some big lifestyle changes, no more alcohol, eating clean, cut down on coffee, and doing 3 miles 3 times a week.

So before I go for an FAA physical, I'd like to talk to a Cardiologist who understands the FAA aviation physical. To be clear, I have not ever been grounded and I did not start an FAA physical when my family Dr. / AME noted the new heart murmur, he was performing an annual non aviation physical.

Is AOPA a good source to go to for advice? I believe the technical term is mitral valve prolapse, basically years of hard living has thickened the heart muscle and caused the mitral valve to stick open and click thus allowing blood to back flow causing heart to pump harder to get blood flow to the body.

A Cardiologist recommended L-Carnitine, Co-Q10, Magnesium, D-Ribose, Hylauronic Acid and Omega 3 oil every day and exercise; which has made a world of difference, now I'd like to not fumble this with a self disclosure that causes me to get grounded. I won't lie on a medical exam, but I'd prefer to have a clean bill of health and my AMEs/family Dr's findings an aberration that need never come up if a new AME and a cardiologist clear me. I get there is a right way and a wrong way to answer questions.

Thanks for any advice/experience.