Old 11-28-2017, 04:30 AM
michael525Bdo
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2017
Position: Director of Operations
Default Stuck in a so-so corporate job. What next?

So I am contemplating all of my options here and need some advice (other than from my friends at the airlines).

Current job: 1 of 2 pilots flying a CJ3 single pilot and a Cirrus SR-22 in the NE. Part 91 flying for a nice family. It is around 400 hours of flying per year between the two planes. Supposed to be week on/week off, but because there are two planes and two pilots, it is week on/week on. While the family is nice, they would be late for their own funeral. There is no set schedule and pretty much every trip is a pop up. There have been occasions where one of us has launched for Airport X and on approach to Airport X the owner says oh, I needed to go to Airport Y.

Anyway, pay is so-so for living in the NE. Benefits are so-so (they pay for part of an Obamacare plan off the open market). No LTD and short term is terrible. My first year bonus was a box of grapefruit. I have to work a second job as a DO in order to make ends meet living outside NYC. (that's right, my SECOND job is as a DO for a 135 operator).

I am at a crossroads. I have missed every previous airline hiring boom either by timing or family health issues. Is it time for me to make the jump? I am sitting at 6500+ total hours but around 300 TPIC. Heading to a regional would be financial disaster. What options do I have? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Michael