View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Does that apply to military duty, or do you really have to be "resting"... which is hard to define legally on a good day.
The AF regulation wasn't set up to deal with multiple sources of employment or a mix of civilian and military flying.

The most basic application of the reg would be if you're scheduled to show at the squadron at 0600 to begin your fly day, you need to leave the building (be off duty) by 1800 the night before. What you did in those 12 hours wasn't specifically dictated. Some guys would consider themselves "off duty" while still on the premises if they were in the squadron gym working out or other leisure activities.

I don't think FARs address mixing civilian and military flying but I've never looked since it wasn't an issue for me. Regardless, I'm pretty sure that schedule Blackhawk described didn't comply with the spirit of any 121 rest requirements. I seriously doubt there was any FAR legal rest period free from duty between flights over the course of the two days of mixed mil/civ flying he described. One can argue legalities and definitions all day, but those don't change the fact that his schedule didn't allow opportunity for rest required by both civilian and military regulations.