View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 08:19 AM
Blackhawk
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
I figured it was 50/50 on how you would respond to this. You had the option to maybe do a mea culpa and just admit maybe it wasn't the best plan after all. That would have been the end of it. The fact that you presented this schedule you designed as something to be proud of to a bunch of experienced ANG/airline pilots and got some BS flags might give a wise man reason for pause. Going counter-offensive on multiple posts is just going to further highlight that lack of SA. If this plan is detailed in your power point brief, you might want to reconsider putting it on the slide titled "Things not to do".
No one accused you of violating any FARs, technically anyway. Regardless, relying on technicalities and legal loopholes doesn't make your plan a good one. I guarantee, if you had an incident, the NTSB report would at a minimum have listed your schedule as a finding potentially contributing to fatigue. Take a look at the findings in the Colgan accident.

I'll have to take your word on that since I know nothing about Army aviation regulations. What are the Army aviation rest requirements specifically? If you were a fixed wing AF/ANG pilots you would have been in violation, by any reasonable interpretation of that reg. You came on here soliciting schedule inputs to inform mil to civ transition pilots. If you only plan to offer your advice to other Army helo pilots, then have at it, I guess.
However, since the large majority of pilots transitioning to mixing airline and military schedules are fixed wing operators flying under AF and ANG regs, you might want to at least be aware of the reg differences. That way you're not standing up in front of a bunch of fighter pilots telling them how great it would be to fly a stand-up and turn to a 4v4 sortie that afternoon. Oh yeah, and then go show for another stand-up 4 hours after the debrief is over.

Anyone familiar with the NASA fatigue studies and/or first hand experience with fatigue inducing schedules knows there's a huge difference between 6 hours of sleep with a 3 hour nap hours later during non-normal sleep periods and 9 hours of proper sleep in at one time. I'd also question the 6-7 hour number you're throwing out based on the stand-up schedules I witnessed. I think you're relying on more technicalities talking about block to block time on your schedule rather than actual sleep time. When you block in at 2300 and have to show at 0500, that ain't 6 hours of sleep when you factor in transit time and the other time demands on a typical layover.

Well, if those pax in the back of your RJ were instead willingly riding along in your Blackhawk on an operational mission, then that might have some bearing on the discussion. But they were paying for a safe ride from A to B by someone putting their safety as the number one priority, not optimizing their AFTP use.
I’m sure some day, if I eat my Wheaties and work hard, I will be good enough to walk in your shadow.