View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 09:17 AM
Blackhawk
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005

Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
As a disinterested observer who served in both the AF and Army I will say the Army has a wildly different native attitude towards fatigue and risk assessment. Not a criticism, just reality.

Blackhawk you seem to be taking offense and I'm not sure why. Reality is if you presented that plan to a room full of folks with an AF flying background, heavy or pointy nose, you'd get a lot of weird looks. Which is why you're getting a lot of comments from folks here questioning the wisdom and/or legality of what you said you did.

I've read a lot of mishap reports, if you were involved in an AF mishap and background turned up the flying/rest schedule you described....that would make up a very large part of the report. Maybe not in the Army, can't say.
I guess I’m reminded why, when I worked in Special Operations, we much preferred working with Marines versus Air Force. Marines would find a way to safely accomplish a mission. The Air Force, in spite of numerous safety protocols, would still look for a way to decline a mission.
Flying 3-5 hours a day with 8-10 hours of actual sleep time; time to still go for a jog and do other stuff; 3 days on and 4-6 days off is hardly a grueling schedule and the fact that Air Force pilots view it as such indicates one of the underlying issues I had doing joint ops with them. That and being told by the Air Force that a sorty was a successful mission.

Last edited by Blackhawk; 12-06-2017 at 09:31 AM.