View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 08:56 AM
oo7kerpow
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2017
Default Plan

Slice,

Thanks for your thoughts. Perhaps I should have given more initial info, but I wanted to see what people though about the idea itself without context. My wife is also an active duty pilot and we are separated until June while she finishes her in residence school. I've got the kids with me in school. We find out late March what her next assignment is. Here is my plan, feel free to throw spears:

Early March-CTP/ATP (first available class with the company I wanted)
Late March-Separate, find out spouse new base, publish apps
April-Jun-Take care of our two kids/sell house/move/etc, interview as necessary
Jun-Listed availability date

I could put Mar 30 as my availability date but I'd essentially hand my paycheck to my nanny for three months, if she could even do it. Due to my life stuff I was willing to suck up the three months of waiting in order to take care of business while my sugar momma pays the bills :-) Especially since I am definitely going to have to commute (with the exception of a few regionals) at the locations I expect her to get as an assignment next (St. Louis, CSprings, Tampa, maaaayyybe DC, prolly not) and as an FNG with no seniority I figured it would be rough on the family while trying to move my family from two locations to wherever we are next.

Which is the onus for my original question. I figured publishing now theoretically gives me time to get interviewed with whomever and get the earliest possible class date for June (best case scenario), but my application would be sans CTP/ATP until March. I do have an idea of the airlines (regional and major) in mind that would work best for my wife's next two assignments.

Reading your post, I wonder if I should submit apps to regionals now (for the same June start date) and then at least Id be employed while I waited for a call from Majors, assuming I even get one. At 2000 TT, 800 PIC, almost all multi-engine (only pilot training isnt), one negative indicator, and decent GPA (HS 4.0, college ~3.0, Masters+ 3.3) I figured I was at the low end of competitive anyway.