Old 12-08-2017, 03:24 PM
kolt66
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by sky jet View Post
I am going to give you some advice. Take it or leave it. A Kalitta Air pilot line guarantee is 64 hours per month. Figure out if you can live on it and decide if you want to work here. People giving you their averages now are giving you exactly that, their average today. There have been many times in the past when there was no or little overtime for months for most line pilots. Those times could come back tomorrow. Four years ago we had pilots on furlough. Most guys didn't work overtime then. One to three years ago we were fighting over a contract and most guys didn't work overtime. Five or six years ago Classic crews might spend their entire 17 days sitting in the same hotel and never turn a wheel.

The point being that the current glut of flying can evaporate in a heartbeat in the ACMI world. Lose one long term customer? Overtime disappears. Park one airplane due to cycles or damage? Overtime disappears. Economy sneezes? Overtime goes away. And finally the big one. We get properly staffed and the Jeppesen program actually works as advertised. Most overtime goes away forever. Plan accordingly.
Oh yeah, I know what you're saying. It's a good point. I was just curious how many hours people were averaging lately. Seems like guys at Southwest are often going way beyond their guaranteed hours every month through premium pay and other things that I'm not really aware of and I was curious how it was at Kalitta.