View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 06:05 AM
ecam
Banned

Joined APC: May 2017

Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
The sad thing is pilots like you are in denial. Comair Guys were the same way.
Yes and no. Many were in denial, but most of us knew the end was near, and we just wanted to milk it as long as we could. Especially the old guys who weren't likely to be picked up by a legacy. I'd say a sure sign of the end being near was when ~25 year CAs started flying with ~20yr FOs. We all knew it was coming to an end, we just didn't know the date until it was announced. But the deniers were the hardest hit, and most of them were younger, great pilots who could have gotten hired out if they tried. Instead they had a lengthy unemployment time.

Having lived the scenario you guys are going through, it all looks very familiar. If I were you, I'd get out ASAP and leave the nightmare of the regional airlines in the dust. It's not going to get any better. And forget about a parallel/backwards move to another regional. You'll go from the frying pan to the fire and do this all over again in a few years. Too many regional pilots think they are too good for the LCCs/ULCCs but not good enough for the legacies. You've got to get out of that mindset. Get off your butts, update your logbook properly, get your apps out, apply everywhere, network. Or go to a ULCC and get a new type rating. If you have a good record and you're not a crusty old geezer with too much PIC time, the legacies will start calling soon. They have to. The pilot crush hits around 2021 and they won't have enough qualified applicants. Even staying at a ULCC is better than what you have. Mine has been a great capstone to my career, making decent money, and not working very hard for it.

Hang in there, there's a light at the end of the tunnel, but only if you start walking toward it.