View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 12:10 PM
155mm
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2014

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Someone who has been out of the cockpit for many years is going to be paddling really hard at any major airline training. UAVs will help just a tiny bit. Pilot skills are very perishable, to say nothing of having to learn all the 121 stuff on top of learning a new jet, while learning how to fly again. I took a year off once, that was eye opening.

Not saying it can't be done, but there's a reason the majors like turbine recency.
First of all, I have no doubt this individual will do well at any airline program. Where he will struggle is flying 135 single pilot freight in a steam engine in the Rocky Mountains in a blizzard landing on a sheet of ice in blowing snow and breaking action nil. Before the AQP days I would have agreed with you. AQP training in a highly automated glass aircraft is a joke and is designed to get monkeys a type rating! The greatest challenge is getting the interview and getting hired. Hell, I've heard stories of really bizarre interview scenarios but that's, "a different conversation".

Last edited by 155mm; 12-11-2017 at 12:42 PM.