View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 07:03 AM
ZapBrannigan
Furloughed Again?!

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Boeing 737

Originally Posted by nkbux View Post
has NEVER furloughed a Pilot!

And that means they never will? No. Seriously. I’ve worked for companies that have never furloughed - until they did. I’ve worked for places that said, “This is the last uniform you’ll ever wear! You won the lottery!” and then I was furloughed again. “In 5 years you’ll be a captain!”Nope, furloughed again.

It is a business. If they don’t need bodies to fly the airplanes, they’ll furlough too. The advantage at the airlines is that you know the rules to the game.

Let me give you an example.

If you fly for Galactic Airways, and they furlough you, and you don’t touch an airplane for ten years... you’re making French fries at Sonic... when they finally recall, they will make you a pilot again.

If you fly for Walton’s Widget Corp, and they furlough you, and you don’t touch an an airplane for ten years... you’re making French fries at Sonic... you might be done flying airplanes.

Furthermore, as an airline guy you can always look at the seniority list and see how many people you are away from furlough or recall. It’s strictly numbers.

As a corporate pilot, when you find out the department is going to lay off, you have to wonder... “does she Chief pilot remember when I complained about that hotel expense report he denied 3 years ago?”

That said...

Corporate flying was MUCH more gentlemanly flying. I fly airplanes that were generations more advanced than the 737. I flew one or two legs a day. I took mid day naps at he FBO. The FBO lady made me warm cookies. Used clean bathrooms at the FBO. Had lunch on an expense account. Got to go to Osh Kosh on the company dime.

Would I go back? Not a chance. The ability to bid a schedule around all of the important events in my family’s life is invaluable.

Good luck with your decision! It isn’t an easy one! My advice is get a job offer. Until you have a job offer there is no decision to make.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk