View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 09:18 AM
ZapBrannigan
Furloughed Again?!

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Boeing 737
Default HELP! SWA or Current gig?

Originally Posted by BB818 View Post
Huge regrets in some ways. I was hired at 26 and would've retired #4 in the company. Post 9/11 I was furloughed for 25 months, came back to 50% paycut, no retirement, no vacation and commuting to reserve in a crash pad 20 days every month. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was a voicemail from 2-year old daughter, distraught that i was not answering her (LOL she thought the recording was me). I thought to myself that in the next 6 years I would be gone for 4 of them from her. What kind of dad would be by doing that? At the time no one would hire an airline pilot that still had a seniority number so, I resigned and went to work for LMG. I should've lied and kept my number but, hindsight is always 20/20. I made the best decision i could at the time.

Been there my friend. I was hired at 26 and then furloughed for about 7 years after 9/11. When they finally recalled, the major was still bankrupt and had closed one of the largest domiciles. The contract was a shadow of what it had been pre 9/11. Taking a recall would have meant a paycut and a challenging commute to the Northeast. So I turned them down. Who would’ve guessed that after a mega merger the job would have been entirely different a decade later.

I left corporate in 2013 when things started looking bleak at the department I was working for. I couldn’t plan any life events with my family, and I was getting sideways with my boss frequently enough that I worried about my longevity.

Commuting from MHT shouldn’t be too bad. Between MDW and BWI you have a variety of options. Nobody says that you have to commute on line either. If MHT isn’t looking good, there are 15 flights from BOS to BWI on weekdays on a variety of carriers. Plus Amtrak if you get in a pinch.

The commuter policy only requires one flight attempt on line though. If you make it great. If not, so be it. Don’t sweat it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk